Sunday 22 February 2015

Oscar Eve: Are you in or are you out...

My latest today.Do check out...

Like the snow of the Christmas and the red of the Valentine’s the fever of the Academy awards have arrived to chill us all with its sheer glitterati and exuberance. Here as we await the 87th Annual Academy Awards to be hosted by none other than the man, Neil Patrick Harris; let’s take a dip at the screens’ most prestigious felicitation.

In terms of brilliance and grandeur few shows over the world are at par with this one. Not to mention the celebrity list Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, that hosts this occasion, enjoys. In terms of ‘different’ this show too comes second to none. Did you know #Oscar is tweeted more than 19 million times during the show takes place, also this year you have got no repeats i.e. no winner from last year got nominated. But if you want to know who got repeated, check this out; Bradley Cooper got third-consecutive nomination this year after Best Supporting Actor for American Hustle (2014) and Best Actor for Silver Linings Playbook (2013). Not only that, he is nominated twice per se since American Sniper has him as a producer and it bagged noms for Best Picture; CRAZY!!! Wait for it, talking of repeats, Meryl Streep bags her record 19th nomination for Into the Woods.


But let’s now focus at the main event…and the predictions begin. With stakes getting higher  I will cut to the chase. Best Director Award has Innaritu of Birdman and Linklater of Boyhood as favorite but I favor Linklater for the sheer joy of film-making at its most creative level. Genius. Now onto Best Actor Award, its bit steep this year with list led by Eddie Redmayne of Theory of Everything followed by Michael Keaton in Birdman, Benedict Cumberbatch in The Imitation GameSteve Carell in Foxcatcher and Bradley Cooper in The American Sniper. Now my favorite is Benedict Cumberbatch but I think the scales are going to tip this year in the favor of Eddie Redmayne. Interestingly Redmayne plays the same character Cumberbatch has already portrayed. Let’s see. Then there is Best Actress list with Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Marion Cotillard (Two Days and Two Nights) Julianne Moore(Still Alice), Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl) and Reese Witherspoon (Wild). I think Julianne Moore is going to kiss the Big-O for her portrayal of an estranged mother with Alzheimer’s. Best Supporting cast for male and female is a toughie since both has lots of credible name so I am just going to name my favorites here. J.K. Simmons for Whiplash and Patricia Arquette for Boyhood. Now for the Best Picture award the nominations are American Sniper, Birdman, The theory of Everything, The Imitation Game, Selma, Whiplash and the Grand Budapest Hotel. Voila. Not 6 but 8 noms. Now, now if I may, I think the best picture award should go to Birdman/ American Sniper. I may be both wrong but I just can’t leave this two and confer Boyhood the award. I mean cut me a slack; both Birdman and American Sniper deserve a Big-O for their craft.

But that’s me. Give me thumbs up if you concur with my predictions. And don’t forget to congratulate me if my predictions come true. See you tomorrow with more Oscar buzz. Don’t forget its 5:30 am tomorrow.


Adieu!

No comments: